Tales of walking, eating, watching and playing. Vintage treasures and simple pleasures ... the things that make her happy.

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Gretel Parker

Yesterday, I thought I would take a look at a favourite blog of mine, 
written by the hugely talented Gretel Parker.

The first line of her most recent post knocked me for six 
and I read on with tears in my eyes.
 I have followed Gretel's journey via her blog for a few years now, 
enjoying her gentle tales of local walks, her needle felting, painting, books, 
and her home life with the love of her life, Andy.

And so, I was shocked to the core when I read that Andy, 
Gretel's partner of 21 years, died in January this year. 
 As well as leaving Gretel devastated, 
it has also left her in real danger of losing their home. 
The home they waited so long to have. 
Gretel's situation is financially precarious. 
Although Andy's family is dear to her, 
Gretel has no living parents, no siblings, 
no one from the usual support system to help her get through this.

Three fellow friends and bloggers have decided to try and raise money 
by way of a raffle to help Gretel. They will have wonderful gifts donated by artists, makers and friends of Gretel as prizes.

A Facebook page has been set up by Donna Flower, Amanda Banham
and Woo Gilchrist to help raise money for a very talented craftsperson 
in a time of extreme need ... 

You can read more about Gretel on her blog and the link on my sidebar, 
entitled 'Funds for Gretel', will take you to the online raffle Facebook page.  

 

13 comments:

Rosemary said...

I read Gretel's blog last week, and found myself reading through tears. Her description was so vivid that I could see it all happening in my mind.
I would like to be able to help in someway if at all possible, and will pursue the information you have kindly given here.

Angy is my name. said...

You are an angel ♥♥ I could not give much but I'm sure every bit counts. Thank you for sharing a post that touches my heart and helps make my most recent post all the more relevant to me. Light and love. Xx

Angy is my name. said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog (not sure why I appear as a "no reply blogger" will look into that)
my email is angyla@me.com - for the future.
Blessings Xx

Outcast said...

This is absolutely heart wrenching for me Jane, I am so so sorry to hear about Gretel partner's suicide, that's so unfair and I can't even begin to imagine the sheer amount of bravery that Gretel's having to fire in right now. I really hope that she manages to raise the money, thanks so much for sharing her story here, I'm sure that she appreciates it so much.

haggiz said...

Thank you for your recent reply on my blog I also do not know why I am a 'no reply blogger'. My email address is haggiscards@gmail.com . I am now going over to look at the blog you mentioned to see how I can help. Julie x

Jenny Woolf said...

I read her blog and it is indeed heart rending. Thank you for the links, I will go to look at the blog. I love the little felted objects.

Maria said...

Ooh my goodness, I have just read, Gretel's post.....Isn't this so sad.
I will check out the links and my heart and prays go out to Gretel...
Depression and mental health is such a taboo subject and it shouldn't be...It is not like a physical illness that you can see....Thanks for sharing, Mrs VJ...So very sad.Love Maria x

lemonade kitty said...

I read Gretel's story last week and although it was extremely sad it was also beautifully written. I have made a donation to this wonderfully brave lady, Lucey x

A Treasured Past said...

This is so very very sad. I have made my donation in support of Gretel also. Tam x

Jen said...

I saw this on another blog and am so sorry that this is how I discovered Gretel. My heart goes out to her.

*Maristella* said...

Hi Marina.
Son d'accordo con te...molto belle e queste creazioni, ricordano il mondo delle favole!
Ti abbraccio e ti auguro una buona settimana, *Maristella*.

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

Heart-wrenchingly sad. Thank you for sharing this. I donated today. ♥ Carla. xo

A Normandy kitchen said...

Hello Marina,
Thank you for joining my blog and also sharing this post, I read about it last week and it has stayed with me. Just so, so sad. It showed me how fragile life can really be and I just can't imagine what she must be living right now.
Hope you are well,
Ivan