Tales of walking, eating, watching and playing. Vintage treasures and simple pleasures ... the things that make her happy.

Monday 2 April 2012

Smoothielicious Weekend ...

Awake early.  Smoothie whizzed.  Milk, yogurt, banana, and mixed berries.
Breakfast outside for the first time this year.  Sun bright and full of promise.
Later, the Slovaks, the Liverpudlian and the Artist came for supper.  
Tender lamb shanks cooked by Mr VJ in a saucy concoction of Guiness, marmalade, worcestershire sauce and stock, sprinkled with spring onions and drizzled with mint oil.  Devoured.
 Forgotten cookies with cream and berries.  Savoured.  Still room for a little cheese.  
The Liverpudlian and and Mr VJ impressed with their juggling skills - Mr Slovak ... hope you've been practising!
 Quiet Saturday.  Little man polishing rocks and crystals.
 
She loves the things that little boys collect.  Pockets full of string, bugs and stones. 
Ammonites, Agate, Fools Gold and Firestone.  Rose Quartz, shark teeth and bear's claw.
 Wild boar tusks, still with sticky marrow inside ... it's a boy thing!

A few finds at auction and elsewhere, but more of that another time ...

On Sunday, the thrill of the secret garden.  She will let you in on the secret soon but only if you promise to never, ever tell ...

16 comments:

Gracie's Garden Bazaar said...

Sounds like a great weekend!Love the cup that held your yummy looking smoothie and your little man's collection looks wonderful..sticky marrow inside and all :D Cassandra xx
PS.I'm very curious about the secret garden!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Boy, your supper sounds so good. I haven't ever had lamb shanks but they sure do sound deLish. I also haven't had a smoothie's in a long while...I think I'll have to make one tomorrow.

Your little man has a great rock and crystal collection.

Outcast said...

That smoothie sounds and looks absolutely amazing Jane, I'm envious you got to taste that!

greenthumb said...

My little guy loves to collect all sorts of thing also.

Aunt Jane's Attic said...

Oh no its not only boys that like bones and crystals, my daughter loved them and still does and shes 19 now, anything in fact thats not with us anymore. Lovely! Great smoothie, fantastic colour. Julie xxx

Melanie said...

Boy things are great, I agree. I hope you have a microscope too but I see a magnifying glass. Very cool.

Angy is my name. said...

Such fun all round! I've been collecting some of the things I find in my Young Prince's pockets when I attempt to do a wash - not the precious stuff - the odd bits; like lolly wrappers, stones, rubber bands, bus tickets, notes from teachers - it think one day when i give him this mini scrap book - he'll have quite the laugh! :-)

Melanie said...

I adore crystals and gemstones!

Miss Simmonds Says said...

ooh could do with that smoothie right now! I used to collect rocks, dinosaurs and cars, now it's dresses!

Miss Maple said...

I collected crystals and rocks too when I was a young mother and shared the joy with my little ones. Since then I've changed my hunting grounds and go to fleamarkets almost every weekend. The collecting bug has bitten me and I can't resist when I see coloured glass, ceramic leaves and fruit, old bags and hats and so on. So I'm happy that I found your blog today. Thanks for sharing.

Rose H (UK) said...

A perfect weekend Marina :o) The lamb sounds delicious.
I still have a fascination with stones, shells and gemstones, I'd love to find some boars tusks! Not just a boys thing you know.

Thank you for your comments on the hoggies, it is I that feels lucky to have them though :o)
Hope you and yours have a very Happy Easter.
Rose H
xx

Floss said...

Ooh, what a great weekend! We had breakfast in the garden for the first time on Saturday, so you are keeping up with southern France...

Thanks for your encouraging comments on my recent posts, too.

Anonymous said...

this is a mmmmmm post! Love the sound of the lamb shanks - care to divulge the source of the recipe please? I too have a boy with pockets full of treasure - heaven!
Kx

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get past the enamel cup.... I so love enamel. Gorgeous post Jane xx

Unknown said...

I promise to never tell and can not wait to hear. :) I love your enamel cup, that smoothie looks delish. xx

In My Wild Eden said...

I love the first breakfast outside. I', glad you had such a nice weekend.