Tales of walking, eating, watching and playing. Vintage treasures and simple pleasures ... the things that make her happy.

Monday 30 April 2012

Fab Friday Frolics and Super Saturday at the Buttercross


Friday morning was spent making lots more cards like these ...
All sold
  
... and painting, lining and waxing this old cutlery box ...
Sold
... and frantically assembling stock for the Buttercross Vintage Market the following day.


At one o'clock, Mr VJ told her to stop ... he was taking her out for lunch!  
They went to the Brown & Forrest Smokery Restaurant at nearby Hambridge.   A great place to go for a very reasonable lunch.  The convivial atmosphere and red gingham tablecloths give a slightly French feel to it.
She felt guilty ... so many jobs to do at home.
The menu always includes a soup and a couple of starters, three or four smoked mains with garlic potatoes and an ‘interesting’ salad, and proper puds or smoked cheese, along with a great selection of cakes.  Mr went for the smoked chicken whilst VJ opted for the oak smoked goose and plum sausages.  Also on offer was hot smoked trout or eel.
Photo taken from Smokery website
A chilled glass of Sauvignon to complement and she felt guilty no more.  She was happy to be playing truant ... washing can wait, a little more dust can settle!  
To finish they shared a sticky chocolate brownie with rich vanilla ice cream.

Lunch over, they were reluctant to head back home and decided to detour to Barrington Court instead. 

On the way they stopped to look at the amazing light on this rapeseed field.  Dramatic stormy cloud all around with the sun just breaking through a chink in the sky and casting a pool of light on this one field.  
She has a love/hate relationship with these vibrant fields.  The golden flowers that brighten the countryside make her nose sniffy and eyes itchy.

At Barrington the kitchen garden is full of promise.  
Neat rows of seedlings and newly tilled earth.
After a wander in the weak sun, they headed back home, 
stopping briefly to view a local auction on the way.  
A Fab Friday.

Up bright and early on Saturday and off to the lovely little town of Somerton for the Buttercross Market.  WOW, what a day.  VJ was rushed off her feet … and got into quite a flap ... thanks Mr Crooked House for your help!  Thank you Mary for organising.
Lovely customers, lovely stallholders, lovely food.  Two rooms of delights plus a few brave souls with stalls outside ... hope you warmed up by the time you reached home Lizzie!  No time to take photos of any stalls but her own!  Isabelle of Suzy's Vintage Attic visited and has done a great little write-up here.
Can’t wait for the next one.  Saturday 8th September … put it in your diaries.  
A Super Saturday!


Soggy Sunday ... long bath, board games, DVD, popcorn ... nuff said!

21 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

I love your cards.
Julie xxxxx

BusyLizzie said...

it was lovely to see you on Saturday, my little purchase has found a home in a vintage dollshouse. It took me hours to warm-up.... Lizzie x

Tina said...

Your cards look fab! Really amazing. xx

Flaming Nora said...

Love the cards. It all looks fab actually. Glad it was a successful day despite the rain.

Used-to-Bees said...

I love the cards too! Sounds all very hectic, but enjoyable too. Hope you are now having a quieter few days!
x

greenthumb said...

Wow what a day, lovely cards and a great photo of the fields.

Outcast said...

One of my mum's favourite hobbies for years has been making various different types of cards but I must admit that none of the cards she makes are as classy and as unique as yours and this is coming from a son who thinks my mum has real talent so good work Jane!

I love the other photos too, that food looks so delicious, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the meal, it sounds like it was extremely delicious to me!

*Maristella* said...

Buongiorno Marina.
Che meraviglia poter partecipare a questa bellissima e ricca fiera...voi avete tantissime cose vecchie che non non abbiamo o non abbiamo più! Come vorrei essere lì...
Un abbraccio, *Maristella*.

Aunt Jane's Attic said...

Love your cards
Love your lunch
Love Barrington Court
(years since I've been there)
Love your stall
Love everything Julie xxx

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Wow - I'm shattered just reading about it! Your cards are gorgeous!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

thesnailgarden said...

I love those cards! Your stall looks wonderful - I have helped a friend at craft fayres and I know how much work they are before-hand, but they are such fun to do. Hope you had a good day. Best wishes, Pj x

Topnotchvintageshop said...

Your stall looks delicious as ever, love your cards you are so creative. I went garage sale hunting so I didn't pop by.

Anonymous said...

Jane,

It sounds like you had a faBulous lunch! I must say, you are very daring in your selection of food. I've never had goose and I'm not sure I would like it but the plum sausages sure sound very good and the dessert delicious!

Your stall is very lovely and has a lot of cool items. I love the silverware that was sold in the above image and the cards are a darling way to display lace and buttons and embroidery. Very smart idea!

Rose H (UK) said...

Wonderful cards, lovely lunch :o)
Sounds like a great day at Buttercross Market too!
So many lovely things - so little time ;o)
Rose H
x

Unknown said...

So Glad you had a good day, its such a lovely fair, it was lovely to see you xx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

That rapeseed field picture is just stunning, I love skies and light like that. Sounds like a fun weekend all round, bet the cards were popular x

Laurie said...

Oh...why don't I live in the UK? It looks like it was a lovely market! Gosh I love your cards!

Red Rose Alley said...

Hello,
I visited your blog today - I saw you on 'la reportiste.' Your blog is so lovely and filled with unique vintage items. We love vintage too. While I was reading, I noticed that we have similar tastes. My daughters favorite movie is Amelie, and mine is Under The Tuscan Sun. We love Bob Marley, and we have one of his quotes on our side bar and a music video on one of our posts. We have a blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. I would enjoy coming back to visit with you. Your blog is filled with beauty, and it is very cheerful to me. I hope to hear from you, and have a sweet day.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Lizzie - The Vintage Traveler said...

One should never feel guilty about a nice lunch out. Hurrah for the Sauvignon

Katie said...

I love your cards. What a great idea they were. Problem is I'd buy them then not want to give them away! Love Katie xx

Am Bothan said...

Sounds as though you had a great day. Well done!
Best wishes,
Jennie