Tales of walking, eating, watching and playing. Vintage treasures and simple pleasures ... the things that make her happy.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Look what I found ...

Isn’t this a gorgeous old screen …?



It has little brass hinges at the top that let it fold inwards or outwards.  The wood will be glorious once I have given it a bit of a rub down, clean up and polish.  And just look at the fabric - all original - with beautiful Kingfishers and flowers in wonderfully muted blues, greens, creams and rust, threaded on at the top and bottom with a strip of blue.  I have taken the fabric off this morning, gently washed it and it is now drying on the line in the gusty winds that we are experiencing here today. 


I so wish I could keep this one but a severe lack of space sadly means I can’t.  I already have a two-fold fabric screen in our bedroom which is perfect for hanging some of my vintage lovelies that are too good to be hidden away in the wardrobe.  If that should fill anyone’s head with ideas of burlesque style shenanigans, draped stockings, saucy negligees and the like … forget it as there is no room for shimmying behind my screen - it is also a brilliant way of hiding clutter, of which mine is doing a very good job!   


I brought home a huge pile of Punch magazines too.  I love looking at the adverts in these.


Couldn't leave this lovely box behind.  Inside is a perfect set of French children's blocks with four different puzzles. 



Love this one - 'IVROGNE' ... 'the drunkard'!


Some hat pins, a napkin ring, cherubic little baby figure, several hand painted fashion illustrations and a lovely little tray that I have revamped with some vintage fabric.  All will be coming to the next fair with me.

 



I also managed to find some more Ladybird books and a couple of Observer books for just 10p each!  They are staying here with me.  Another brilliant find was this fantastic old printer’s set which will be perfect for card and label making and I’m sure I’ll be able to find 1001 other uses for it too.  At just 50p I’m sure it will soon earn it’s keep!



Some 1980’s Beano comics came home with me for little man.  He has just discovered Beano and loves it.  He has never been a keen reader, so I was amazed when he read his first Beano from cover to cover, silent (apart from the odd chuckle), engrossed and still for over forty minutes!

I am going to use one of the fashion illustrations to make a birthday card for my mum.  She will be 70 next week!  Talking of which, my Mr will be 50 on Friday!  He’s not one for parties or a big fuss so hopefully we will just be having an informal gathering at the beach on Saturday (please, please shine on us Mr Sun – we haven’t seen you for a while and we are really missing you now!).


15 comments:

Stef@ said...

These vintage objects are super!!!
Baci
Stefy

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Marina:
What some very splendid 'finds'. We, alas, are old enough to have had John Bull's printing sets as new. We seem to remember them as quite messy with all that printing ink!

Your screen is perfect. If we were not so far away we should really love to have it and are certain that it will sell very quickly indeed.

Anna said...

Bellissimi questi oggetti vintage!! Baci,Anna.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love those blocks and the printing set is fantastic!
Liz

*Maristella* said...

Hi Marina....meravigliosi meravigliosi questo oggetti Vintage! Tu hai fatto una bella caccia!! Adoro gli spilloni per il cappello...
Un caro saluto, *Maristella*.

Used-to-Bees said...

You do manage to find the loveliest things, and so many of them. I love the alphabet blocks (the one with the drunkard - meant to warn children off the evil drink lest they ended up featured on future sets of blocks?) and the fashion illustrations.
x

RDA Pony Tales said...

Lovely finds. I like the fabric you have used for the tray, it looks wonderful. A x

Rose H (UK) said...

Oh, what gorgeous things...that screen - WOW! and I love the tray - the fabric is identical to my newest bedding.
Just a thought - in your Ladybird book collection do you have Smoke & Fluff? I still have a copy here, it still makes me smile when I look at it as it was my daughters favourite bedtime story when she was little. :o)

The Cloth Shed said...

Your screen would be perfect with the stuffed Victorian kingfisher I bought recently... but like you, I am fast running out of space.
Love your bargain 50p printing set, I could have great fun with that for my labels.
Julie x

Vintage Sunday said...

I so much enjoy all your lovely finds ~ the block set, hat pins and printing set are just fabulous! And a very happy birthday to Mr VJ on Friday (it's my husband's 50th this year also!). Love Brenda

Vintage Jane said...

Hi Rose,

No, I don't have Smoke and Fluff. I do have the Bunnyfluffs Moving Day though, which was one of my little man's favourite stories. Sounds like they may have been from the same series.

The fabric on the screen came up really well after a wash and a blow! I'm still debating whether I can keep it but I think I know what the answer is. No space and need to make a living and all that ...!

M x

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

What goodies! The screen is gorgeous, I so love them but just don't have the space for them.

Victoria xx

BusyLizzie said...

Thank you for your comment, I don't "do" minimalism at home either! Lizzie xxx

Rose H (UK) said...

Marina, I'll keep a look out and if I find another Smoke and Fluff - it's yours!
Yes, I think Bunnikins moving day is from the same series.
A real shame you couldn't keep the screen though.
All the best
Rose H

Ava said...

Oh my, what a beautiful haul, Lovely even just to admire from across the ocean xx Ava